Scorrano, with a population of about 8000 inhabitants, it is a town of Salento hinterland.
Its Roman origin is always accepted and never questioned: it is believed, in fact, that Marco Emilio Scaurus, the Roman consul, have founded Scorrano, a claim that is based on elements not all sufficiently convincing scientifically.
The place names and religious references, instead, compared to archaeological ones, would feel more plausible Byzantine origin.
Like other lands and houses, however, it was allowed as war booty to the partisans of Charles D’Anjou..
At the end of the sixteenth century, it is property of De Balzo and immediately after of the Maramonte; August 18, 1686 was bought for 22,000 ducats from Frisari, a family that will keep it with the ducal title since 1725.
Its historical event was characterized by a keen interest both from some great feudal families both from the same Neapolitan crown. It participated in the Otranto war and it was outraged, undergoing a turkish assault. In the following centuries, its history is characterized by domestic interest events, the largest of which is the progressive urban look change, which will make Scorrano one of the most interesting towns of the whole Salento both for the remaining medieval city plan, both for the architectural appearance.